Saturday, December 3, 2022

Presbyterians for Earth Care Dec. 3rd Advent Devotion

December 3rd

Romans 15:4-13 (part 2)

Natalie Moon-Wainwright

I’m writing a second piece on Romans 15:4-13 because singing praises to God is a key component of the passage; and singing and music is such an important part of the celebration of Christmas. As a matter of fact, for me, it’s an important part of every day.

My introduction to music took place early in life. I grew up singing in harmony around the piano, especially when with extended family. Grandad sang bass, Mom was usually at the piano singing alto, I sang soprano, and other family members filled in with other parts where needed, Dad and I trading off in taking the melody. Of course, at Christmas time, we sang Christmas Carols and holiday music.

As an adult I began to learn other parts, singing second soprano, alto, and even tenor. I discovered that not only did I enjoy taking the lead on the melody line, but it could be fun to harmonize in support of the melody.

Today, unless I’m rehearsing for a concert, I don’t want to hear or sing holiday music unless it’s after Advent starts and before the twelfth day of Christmas. There is a time and a season for everything.

We are in a season of crisis in our world. The author of Romans encourages us to live in harmony with one another so we can glorify God with one voice. In harmony with one voice. Like a choir singing different parts making beautiful music together. If we work together in different ways and from different parts, we can create the change we want to see in the world.

May heaven and nature sing in and around you in this season.

Holy One, help us to glorify you in all we do by raising our voices in harmony with others. Amen.

Action: Reach out to someone you know who has a different perspective on the climate crisis than you. Use words like I wonder or I’m interested to invite them to share. Engage in deep listening.


Your donation towards our work is needed and appreciated.  You can give online through our secure website presbyearthcare.org/giving or by mail to P.O. Box 3851, Allentown, PA 18106.



--

Mindy Hidenfelter
Coordinator
Presbyterians for Earth Care

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today in the Mission Yearbook - Joshua fit the battle of Jericho, offering up lessons for effective mission partnerships

Witness, Share and Evangelize: Today in the Mission Yearbook - Joshua fit the bat... : The Rev. Dr. Robert Ngugi preaches online to the PC(U...