Friday, March 22, 2024

Looking into the lectionary - Easter Sunday resources

March 31, 2024
Easter Sunday
Mark 16:1-8

Natural light is a mood booster and good for my mental health, so I’ve added a quick walk outside to my morning routine. I wake up to my alarm on my cell phone but resist the urge to check email or social media or anything that involves a screen or artificial light. Instead, I pull on warm clothes, leash up the dog, and head outside for a few minutes of fresh morning air and whatever natural light I can turn my face towards. Sometimes it’s still the moonlight. Other times, if my schedule and daylight saving time allow, it’s the sun peeking over the horizon, casting hazy pink and orange streamers through the fading dark of night. As I take in this beauty, I ready myself for the work of the day: contemplating my tasks, writing deadlines and the people with whom I will meet. I set my intentions. More deeply, I consider who I want to be and how I want to be.

The reading from Mark’s Gospel for this Easter Sunday begins with Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome, setting out “very early” for the tomb, just as the sun had risen. I imagine their morning sun appearing just as it does for me, and these women turning their faces toward it, contemplating their somber work for the day – anointing the body of their beloved Jesus – and setting their intentions for how they would go about this sacred task.

No morning ritual could have prepared them, though, for what they found: an empty tomb; an otherworldly young man dressed in white; the admonition, “Do not be afraid.” But of course, they were afraid. According to Mark, all of Jesus’ disciples should be afraid. And originally, the story ended here, the women fleeing the tomb in “terror and amazement.”

In his book Preaching Mark in Two Voices (co-written with Gary Charles), Brian Blount reflects on the original ending of Mark’s Gospel (Mark 16:1-8) and why early church leaders felt the need to add to it (Mark 16:9-20). Mark’s focus, Blount writes, is not on resurrection but discipleship. Therefore, Mark doesn’t end with appearances of the resurrected Jesus or the convincing of other disciples and spreading the good news. Mark ends with the women’s fear. “Fear is the natural reaction to a discipleship whose content is the way of the cross,” Blount writes. “If you’re not afraid, you don’t understand.”

Mark stresses the call of discipleship and its challenges rather than resurrection appearances that displace fear and doubt with a happy, victorious ending. ...

Read the rest of the commentary on the website.

Order of worship for March 31, 2024. These liturgies are free to use.
An Easter mealtime prayer by Brendan McLean
Like the women at the tomb (March 31, 2024) by Shea Watts
Alleluia! Christ is Risen! — Weekly Christian ed lesson by Joelle Brummit-Yale
Want the worship resources for March 24, 2024? You can find them here.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT...


PC(USA) Board of Pensions restructures benefit offerings for 2025 
‘Season of Rebuilding’ plan blueprint affirmed at board of directors spring meeting with pricing to follow in April. — Gregg Brekke

Exploring the uses and possibilities of digital ministry
In this Faithful Conversation, Outlook’s Social Media Producer Jesy Littlejohn and Washington National Cathedral Pastor for Digital Ministry Jo Nygard Owens explore the uses and possibilities of digital ministry.

The nones have changed campus chaplains’ jobs — and made them more interesting
All students, not just Christians, come talk to me about class and life in general. — Lyn Pace

If the tool becomes the master, the greatest commandment remains
"We do not have to solve the world’s problems, but we do have to love our neighbor," writes Jay Blossom of AI.

Beyond artificial words: The pastoral heart in an age of AI
ChatGPT may be efficient, but pastors can't give up on specificity and authenticity, writes Jeremy Wilhelmi.

Easter season vocabulary words: Resurrection
In this children's message, Sara Pantazes explores how resurrection is something that we all experience.

O Lord, I Thank You for the Gift
A free Easter hymn by Carolyn Gillette. 
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking into the lectionary - Your worship companion for May 5

Churches, Denominations and Religions: Looking into the lectionary - Your worship compani... : May 5, 2024 Sixth Sunday of Easter John 15:9-...